Are the Clippers the new favorites in the West?!

Discussion in 'NBA - The Association' started by Tom7, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Tom7 Administrator

The Clippers... I wonder if NBA analysts are sleeping a bit on the changes they've just made.

Adding Doc Rivers as head coach and VP of Basketball Operations is a big deal. Plus today Doc added former Suns head coach Alvin Gentry as "associate" head coach. This is in addition to the three assistant coaches Doc brought to LA from Boston: Armond Hill, Kevin Eastman and Tyronn Lue. Lue is young, but he's got two championships under Phil Jackson and brings that to the group.

Last season the Clippers had the 4th most productive bench in the NBA, and this season they have added J.J. Redick, Jared Dudley and Darren Collison.

Neither the Thunder or the Spurs have improved themselves this much both in players and coaches -- nor have the Grizzlies or Warriors for that matter.

Wouldn't it be something if the Clippers were competing against the Heat in 11 months?
  2. NigelCarpay Member

I can't see Griffin making big enough steps to make them a real contender. I also think you under estimate what the Warriors are adding and also the jumps some of their young talent are likely to make. Thompson moving into his third year. Barnes into only his second. That's not to say that they wont, just I think it's going to be closer than most think.
  3. ST1 Member

Where did the clippers finish this year?
  4. Tom7 Administrator

The Clippers tied with the Memphis Grizzlies for the 5th best record in the NBA last year, and lost to the Grizzlies in the first round of the playoffs.

Nigel, good point about the players the Warriors are adding, hopefully coach Mark Jackson is up for it.

The Clippers are writing an interesting story right now.

1. They lured Doc Rivers, a head coach with championship pedigree, away from Boston for a first round draft pick.

2. Rivers isn't just the Clippers' head coach, he is also the Senior Vice President of Basketball Operations.

3. The Clippers hired Alvin Gentry as "Associate Head Coach." That's not "Assistant Coach," that is associate HEAD coach.

4. Gentry, who was an assistant coach for Mike D'Antoni and the Phoenix Suns turned down an offer to be D'Antoni's assistant again for the Los Angeles.

5. Gentry's responsibility with the Clippers is offense (think pick and roll with Chris Paul and Blake Griffen, and JJ Redick on the arc waiting to make the defense pay for helping).

6. Doc Rivers is changing the entire culture and player mentality in Los Angeles.

All that just has me curious, especially as a case study for the kind of impact coaches and organizations can have on players and winning.
  5. NigelCarpay Member

Yeah Tom, I think the program is sending a message to the players they want excellence by hiring Doc. For that alone I think we can expect good things from them.

The west is going to be really interesting I think. Twolves are going to put a good team on the floor. At the very least it could be one of the most entertaining teams to watch.

On Mark Jackson, I think he's going to be one of the greats. If you look at the shift in the way the Warriors play over the last two years I think that's pretty amazing. He certainly has the player's ear which is half the job.

Damn I'm looking forward to the season.
  6. Tom7 Administrator

7. NigelCarpay Member

Have now.

The west looks so interesting I think. I can not believe they have Portland as low as they do. I have the Nuggets 9 and Portland 8th. The Lakers ranked 12th, sounds like a challenge doesn't it. Can't really disagree with the ranks overall, perhaps Dwight's impact on Houston is a little overrated. I mean back injuries are funny things, Larry johnson was never the same after his, and I believe it's a very similar injury that Dwight had, so they could easily be out of the 8.
  8. Tom7 Administrator

I agree, Nigel. David Robinson too wasn't the same after his back injury.

I think the Lakers "dodged a bullet" (terrible saying! I wish we'd replace that one!) by having Dwight leave. He is far too selfish to imagine ever being a real team player, and too overpaid... the Lakers would not have one anything with him and would have paid so much to have him on board, rocking the boat all the time.

I don't know how anyone can project how the Nuggets can do. They have had some really huge changes, AI, their GM and their coach. Portland as a playoff team sounds right to me.
  9. NigelCarpay Member

Pretty much agree with everything you're saying Tom. If Dwight returns to his form he had in Orlando 2010 then he's going to contribute wherever he goes. The thing is that Harden is going to dominate the ball so Dwight is going to have to play pick and roll. He's not going to be the central figure he was in Orlando. Really, he's shot himself in the foot. If he'd shut up and played. Stayed in Orlando and not been such a whiner, he'd be adored, Orlando would be making excuses for his back, and he'd be in a good situation.

Now all the pressure is on him and the Rockets. The expectations are sky high, and his body probably wont let him meet them.
  10. Tom7 Administrator

Agreed. If Dwight wasn't happy playing with Kobe, then how is Harden going to be better?

I do think a lot of Kevin McHale as a coach though, not just for Xs and Os, but for how he interacts with people. If Houston meets expectations, then it could well be McHale was just better at making Dwight and his team work together than D'Antoni did.

Dwight will get the credit for McHale's work.
  11. NigelCarpay Member

Yep - McHale could be a major factor.

Again to harp on it, good noises coming out of Golden State. Players turned up a month early, look healthy etc. Looking forward to a good season for them.