Coaching through adversity

Discussion in 'About Anything' started by coachT, Jan 12, 2014.

1. coachT New Member

The title might lead you to believe that our team is struggling offensively or defensively, chemistry isn't clicking, or overall record isn't as good as we would like. Truth is, none of that is the case. We've won our last 9 games by an average of 34 points. We are undefeated right now in our conference. On the surface, we have never played better.

The level of competition that we play has been bad, which is one of the reasons we are winning games by such a wide margin. However, our coaching staff knows that we have tougher games to play in our season and the way we are performing now isn't going to be good enough. My question is how do you coach through this type of issue? Do you make things harder for the players/team during game situations by saying, "Let's make 7 or 8 passes before a shot" or "I want so and so to score out of this set play"? Is it unreasonable to hold players back in that regard in order to add a little extra adversity to a game?

This is my first post here. I've been reading a lot of the stuff on this website and love it! Can't wait to hear some of your replies. Thanks!
  2. plavitch Active Member

We have a similar issue in that we are one of only three strong teams in our league this year (out of ten). Our situation was much the same last season. The first thing I would address is your intensity in practice. To me, this is where it all starts. Make sure your practices are giving you the kind of competition that your toughest opponents will bring.

During games we have certain process goals. For instance, we want to get X% of our misses back (offensive rebounds) while limiting them to getting back only Y% of their misses. We also want to limit our turnovers to only Z% of our possessions. You can vary these numbers depending on the level of mismatch. You can also have other goals as you see fit.

To up the challenge of the game we have tried things like the so many passes or getting a certain player a shot. We have also said nothing but a layup. A little game I like is to use each minute like the end of the quarter, running the clock down until 7-10 seconds before the clock reaches X:00 and then attacking. Every time you get the ball you have a different amount of time to kill. At the end you can say, "We scored at the end of 7/10 quarters tonight!" Of course you can't do this if playing with a shot clock.
  3. coachT New Member

plavitch, Thanks for the reply. We are doing similar goals during these games with specific offensive and defensive focus. Offensively, we monitor our turnovers, offensive rebounds, FG%, and FT%. Defensively, we monitor how many turnovers we force, offensive rebounds we give up, and PPG. This seemed to work the first few games, but has recently lost its appeal. I'll have to run the minute-by-minute idea by the head coach and see what he thinks. That could be a great solution to break the game down even further and get them to focus in on execution. Just for reference, we coach varisty girls in Ohio. No shot clock imposed. Again, thanks for the feedback!
  4. NigelCarpay Member

If the games aren't tough enough you only have practice to make tough.

Scrimmage. Penalise for intensity. Reward moderately for the things you want to improve.
  5. ST1 Member

Play against a higher age group
  6. funbballcoach New Member

Hi Coach

I agree with the earlier post that maybe finding other games with better teams outside of your regular competition can be good. Older age groups can be really useful for this.

Another way might be to focus on more specific player and team goals during games. Usually when looking at team based this can be worked on players linking more and more of the right things together. Simple Ideas like every player having to box-out, using only one dribble when attacking the basket from the perimeter are just some options so players continue to be pushed both technically and tactically.

Another option is to utilise players in different positions to allow for a different style of play to happen on the floor. Going Big or going Small, but wanting specific outcomes from that group of players so they are constantly engaged and having to change focus.

If players are becoming over confident, employ tools like game tape to draw attention to issues that you see, but they might not.

Regards

Functional Basketball Coaching