Does anybody feel they miss out on Skill Development while Running the Read And React?

Discussion in 'About Offense' started by James LaMacchia, May 18, 2013.

1. mvcbruce Active Member

Read & React's --- "Layer 0 -- Offensive Mechanics"
    Since Rick's Dynamic Defense came out with a "Layer 0 -- Defensive Mechanics", I've added a Layer 0 to the Offensive action of Read & React. And it seems to fit into this Forum entry.
    My Layer 0 consists of:
    1) Stops, Starts, Pivots, Stance
    2) Shot Form (no movement & with movement)
    3) Ball Handling (Ball Control) (includes Passing, Dribbling, Catching, etc)
    4) Formations & Sets (Spots)
    5) Position Specific Skills (Post & Perimeter breakdown)
    6) Rebounding (Check-out -- Box-out -- Put backs)

------- A reminder of what "Layer 0 -- Defensive Mechanics" looks like (From Dynamic Defense)
    Layer 0 consists of:
    1) Forward/Backward/Lateral Movement (Agility)
    2) Close-Outs (Technique)
    3) Jump to Ball (or React to Pass or Dribble)
    4) Sets ( 1/4 court, 1/2 court, 3/4 court, full-court)
    5) Rebounding (Close-out -- Box-out -- Outlet -- Run)

With Layer 0 from both Read & React and Dynamic Defense, you've covered most of the "Skill Development" fundamentals being addressed in this forum topic. All of these "Layer 0" skills (both offensive & defensive) are incorporated into practice in several ways:
    1) In our Warm Up routine (the first 45-60 minutes of practice); (our ED portion)
    2) Within the framework of our offensive and/or defensive breakdown work (2-on-2, 3-on-3 & 4-on-4); (the next 45-60 minutes)
    3) Within or "Team" session of practice (5-on-5 -- 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & full-court); (30-45 minutes)
    -----includes Full-Court Press & Press Break; 1/2-Court work on Situations or Quick Hitters, etc.----

It seems adding Layer 0 to the Read & React is a way to connect the necessary fundamentals to the actual 20 layers of the Read & React in a seamless and meaningful fashion. What other Layer 0 fundamentals would you add to this?

I hope this makes sense.
    plavitch likes this.
  2. This makes total sense, thanks a lot coach.
  3. NigelCarpay Member

Same as Coach Farrugia above.
  4. coach215 Member

"Layer 0." Great! I'll add that. Thanks!
  5. mvcbruce Active Member

It's been a couple years since this forum thread was started.
    Just checking to see if any of you have resolved the issue of Skill Development in the R&R.
    I see Rick has a new VoD "Developing the Read & React Player" which may have helped (even though it's only partially done).
    Anyway, just checking . . .
  6. plavitch Active Member

I still maintain that after 10-20 reps, there is no need for "on air" drilling. Show them, let them get the idea (those reps), and then let them use it in a game. I don't mean a full game but something like what John Kessel calls a "grill," which is a drill that has been turned into a game.

Say I want to work on starts & pivots and I am also working pass-cut-fill. Well, I want the filling player to understand if her defender is out of position she is to attack on the catch. So I'm going to start with a token defender who is either slightly ahead or slightly behind the fill player on the catch. (I don't mean over the line or way behind. I'll use markers to tell the defender where to go.) The fill player makes her read on the catch and either rips and goes against momentum or catches and attacks on the run. Either way we are finishing with a layup.

At the beginning the defender will just step to one of the markers so we can concentrate on the read and the pivot/start. Soon we make the defender live with the restriction she has to touch one of the markers before she can play. That gives the offense a slight advantage and now the grill becomes more about finishing. We are still working the read and the pivot/start, though.

Maybe we want to work on pivots in the post, either at the end of a drive or on a post up. Show them what you want to do, for example, front pivot & step through, give them a few minutes with it, then play 1v1. Or maybe we want to make it 2v2. Once we get more than 1v1 all R&R concepts come into play. So, pass & cut/post, feed the post & Laker cut. We would probably tell the defense to allow those first two passes. Now the post can pivot and score or pass to the cutter. We are working on our skills, running the offense, AND making decisions. This last thing is what I think is woefully lacking in the way Coach Torbett teaches. He is all about "drill, drill, drill" but that just isn't my style. I want players to constantly have to make decisions. I don't care about perfect drills. In fact, I think the search for perfection is a big trap many coaches fall into. The game isn't perfect. People have to adjust.

Anyway, that is how we combine teaching all our fundamentals and the R&R, although I do put shooting in a separate category. We do some shooting drills where the shooter has to decide whether to shoot or not, but most of what we do there are traditional drills or drive & kick shots. Even on drive & kick I want the shooter to make a decision, though. Which way is the dribbler driving? Which way do I need to move?

Yes, that's a lot messier than if we drove right 20 times in a row. The way we do it the shooter goes the wrong way sometimes. That's okay with me, though, because I want to challenge their minds. If you drive right 20 times in a row then nobody is thinking (or reacting to the drive, as BB would say) after the first one or two. There is no learning going on. People are just copying what the person in front of them did. I want players to constantly have to be alert.

This turned out to be something of a rant, I guess, and I certainly don't mean to be attacking anyone. I love the R&R and the philosophy behind it, and I wouldn't run anything else. I just have big problems with the way Better Basketball proposes to teach it. I haven't watched the "Developing the Read & React Player" VoDs but I have read your notes. I may watch them someday as I'm sure there is some valuable information there. My teaching philosophy and Coach Torbett's are just so different. I would have agreed with him 100% the first 15-20 years of my career but the last 10+ years I have completely changed my ways, and I think for the better.
  7. Teaching skill development and running the read and react against an aggressive/trapping 1-3-1 are still thrones in my side.
  8. plavitch Active Member

Only faced 1-3-1 a couple of times ever. It isn't very popular with girls teams around here. When we saw it we played 4-out with a high post and I was pretty happy with that.

Coaching middle school, skill development is #1 so I base everything we do off of that. So my question is not "how do I integrate skill development into the R&R?" My question is how many ways can I fit R&R teaching into our skill development? Maybe you can't think that way in high school but that way of thinking has worked great for us.

One thing I want to add to my previous post. I really like working on individual dribble moves using an adaptation of Vance Walberg's Blood drills. We start 1v1 and build up to 2v2, 3v3, & 4v4. We have changed it so that (usually) all players play all positions. It lets you work on a live ball move, help defense, and circle movement all in one go. Some of Walberg's other skill drills also play nicely with R&R.
  9. Hi Coach, i am not familiar with his blood drills, any chance you could leave a link where i could find them?

Thanks
  10. plavitch Active Member

I actually have a couple of his DVDs where the drills are demonstrated. There is probably a clip on YouTube somewhere, but I didn't find it with a quick search.

Anyway, there is a page with some diagrams and explanations here. I'm not really sure how clear that is, though. Like I said, we have modified the rules quite a bit. The key things for us are:
    • the on-ball defender has to stay on the center line until the dribbler reaches the circle (this gives the dribbler a sizable advantage),
    • the dribbler has to stay inside the width of the lane (this forces a good dribble move),
    • and circle move/read the defense/finish/kick out as appropriate.
    If for some reason the offense can't get a shot off the initial penetration they just play it out.

We start 1v1 just working on moves and finishing. Next we add a post and play 2v2. Usually we skip 3v3 and just add two wings and play 4v4. In 4v4 we don't always mix positions, but 1v1 and 2v2 everyone is a guard and everyone is a post. Also, we usually play 1v1 and 2v2 on our side goals so we can have two games going at once.

Somebody shared a big packet of notes from his speaking at a clinic here. The diagrams are hand drawn and can be kind of hard to understand, but they're there if you want them. Let me know if you can't figure it out.
  11. CoachDAP Member

I whole heartedly agree. If you're not competing in your skill development you're not developing much. Players must learn to adapt to the situation. They must also learn to deal with failure. When there is no defense, there is a false sense of success that created. playera haven't mastered a skill until they can do it correctly against defense.
  12. Plavitch, is this on his dribble drive dvd? The first additions, not the expanded stuff or advanced stuff?

Thanks.