Game Calls

Discussion in 'About Offense' started by mvcbruce, Mar 24, 2015.

1. mvcbruce Active Member

Was wondering how coaches callout actions they want during a game. It seems that the more I know and learn the Read & React, the more I would like to do . . .
    Here is just one example of many:
    If I run 4-Out, we may run the Post at mid-post. This works great simply running our stuff including Post Screens, Post Reactions, etc. etc. However, if I see something where I want a weakside post, how do you call this out? Or, if I want the Post at High Post (strong or weak), Short-Corner (strong or weak), how do you call this out? Or, if I want some type of guard action to accompany this, how do you call this out?
    So, I'm looking for some systematic way of tying all this together. Any ideas?
  2. mvcbruce Active Member

This article really helps and was what I was looking for.
    I don't want to take away player decisions and instincts, but I would like to help players make decisions.
    The Tribe Spotlight on March 26th, "Court Vision: The Trained Eyes of a Head Coach (Part 1)" helps me understand that coaches sometimes see things that a player may not see, so the ability to communicate to players on the floor is important. The article you recommended, "Simplify Your Motion Offense for Better Results" http://www.hoopskills.com/simplify-your-motion-offense hits the nail on the head. Coaches helping players make better decisions on the court. It's easy in practice, but not necessarily in games.

So, let's put our heads together and come up with a system. It shouldn't be hard since R&R is developed in Layers and Levels, but not necessarily by formation or reactions to defense.

What are your ideas? or, What do you currently do to help players make decisions during games? or, How do you help your players make the decisions they actually make in a game?
  3. Woody New Member

In general, I think a color or keyword that cues an action would be very helpful for players, but I have found that players treat this as a quick hitter, and then go back to "normal" offense.
    I have had some success with calling the spots, then the post, then the action emphasized.

For example, 5 left black is the 5 out spots, with a post on the left (right corner empty) and black is our backscreening call. (We use the call elbow if the screener should hunt the post defender.

4 high big is the four out spots, post high, and the ball must touch the big mans hands before a score.

One that I am playing around with right now is 5 double short weave (which i will shorten to pistols or 2 gun) which is two posts in short corners with the three perimeters running as many power dribbles as possible. Saw a team run this in the Colorado 2A final and it was buttery smooth. I don't think the coach was a R&R guy, but it is pretty easy to adapt.

Does anyone else use the color scheme that Rick and TJ talk about in videos i.e. blue for post screening, green for GO (no screens clear the lane hard)
  4. Ethan Baker New Member

I really like the idea of piecing together phrases such as "4 high big" to tell players an advantageous formation and action to emphasize. I have done a little research into Rick/TJ's color schemes, but haven't put it down on paper to really study. In the next few days I'll look into this and see what I can find/come up with and share it!