Grinnell College: 'The System'

Discussion in 'About Offense' started by aeagles1988, Mar 9, 2016.

1. aeagles1988 New Member

Coaches,

I'm a 7th and 8th grade boys Jr High coach, and am looking for advice for the upcoming season. I have a high number of players coming out for the 2 teams next year (30+ competent players), and I'm trying to find ways to be competitive while getting all the players playing time. One of the ideas that I'd like your input on is implementing Grinnell's 'System'.

If anyone has any advice, pros/cons for running the system at the jr high level, or experience with the system, I would appreciate your comments...

Thanks
    Craig
  2. mvcbruce Active Member

More importantly, what does the High School Head Coach want you to run?
    Is he all about run & shoot without regard to defense . . .
    Just a thought.
  3. aeagles1988 New Member

Our kids go to one of 2 high schools. In speaking with both coaches, they have asked that the emphasis be placed on fundamental development, namely shooting form, on ball and off ball defense, and ball handling. Both were indifferent regarding the style and speed of play.
  4. mvcbruce Active Member

Though I love the "system"; it seems a bit unrealistic to . . .
    a) Get a shot off in 5 seconds
    b) Essentially, eliminate the dribble
    c) Minimize passes

Though it may be fun to watch (or hard to watch, depending on their shooting skills); Maybe instead of Grinnell, you may think more like UNLV. In fact, watching the uptempo style of the Big 10 women's basketball, that may be more in line with what you want to do. Especially, if you want to play defense! I may go "Grinnell" in practice, but make it a bit more practical for games. I don't know about your Middle School program, but you always have that big, slow kid . . . where does he fit into Grinnell. Do you cut him because he can't run the floor in the required 5 seconds? I see a bit of frustration on the horizon, but would love to see it happen. Remember, you're going to sub 5 kids in every few possessions. Though this seems fair for the 15th kid on your squad, it's incredibly tough on your best couple of kids as they will get substantially less playing time.

Good Luck
  5. NigelCarpay Member

Personally - not a fan. In my experience players like getting to touch the ball and being involved. If you take the first shot available you get a whole lot of players who aren't involved in the action. This leads to poor defence as players hang their heads and so on. I would think it's probably ok for pro's and so on but for school kids I'd be more conventional.
  6. aeagles1988 New Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll research more on LMU and also the B10 women's style of basketball.

I've also come across a lot of great information from the women's coach at Olivet Nazerene...he has adapted the LMU and Grinnell systems to fit his style and personnel. He also has had a few of his players receive the defensive POY awards, which is exciting to hear.
  7. ST1 Member

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=guru-of-go

"
    Film Summary

By the mid-1980s Paul Westhead had worn out his welcome in the NBA. The best offer he could find came from an obscure small college with little history of basketball. In the same city where he had won an NBA championship with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Westhead was determined to perfect his non-stop run-and-gun offensive system at Loyola Marymount. His shoot-first offense appeared doomed to fail until Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble, two talented players from Westhead's hometown of Philadelphia, arrived gift-wrapped at his doorstep.
    With Gathers and Kimble leading a record scoring charge, Westhead's system suddenly dazzled the world of college basketball and turned conventional thinking on its head. But then, early in the 1989-90 season, Gathers collapsed during a game and was diagnosed with an abnormal heartbeat. Determined to play, Gathers returned three games later, but less than three months later, he tragically died on the court. Working with both Westhead and Kimble, Oscar-winning director Bill CouturiƩ will tell a fast-paced and emotionally moving story of innovation, triumph and tragedy."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LZPCOUagn3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>