Host Migration

Discussion in 'Announcements and FAQs' started by Tom7, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Tom7 Administrator

The forums and basketballogy.com are being migrated to a new web host this weekend.

I would like to give you the exact window when it will happen, but the new host isn't able to do that for me...

So on the downside, without real notice I will have make the forums read only for a bit, then they will work again but on the new host.

On the upside, the new host should be over 600% faster, and much more reliable than the old host.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and even sorry for all the inconvenience we have had with my former webhost, but the fix is underway!
    Hoop likes this.
  2. Tom7 Administrator

This afternoon (Alaska Time which is -9 GMT) we are migrating to our new web host. In preparation for the migration, I will be marking the forums READ ONLY so we don't lose any posts.

In theory, it will take 72 hours for our new location to propagate through the DNS servers around the Internet, but in practice it usually happens in less than one day.

I hate to do this on the first day of the NBA playoffs, but the sooner I get it started, the sooner it will be done.

I'm excited.

As part of my research, I moved another site to this host and load times when from 8.5 seconds on the old host to 2.0 seconds on the new. I don't know what the improvement will be for the forums, but I'd be thrilled if they just stayed up reliably!

Thanks for your patience everyone. See you in 24-72 hours.
  3. Tom7 Administrator

And... We're back!
  4. Hoop Active Member

And...its SMOK'n Fast!!!!
    Tom7 likes this.
  5. Coach Dennis Moderator

It is working awesome indeed! Thanks Tom!
    Tom7 likes this.
  6. Tom7 Administrator

Thanks, guys. I should have done this long ago, but my former web host was so good for 5.5 years that I could not believe the slowness and flakiness was going to go on as long as it did.

Now that we have a new home, I'm going to start promoting the forums again and building the community. The beginning of the off season is perfect timing; we coaches can learn new stuff and get it planned and ready before training camp.
  7. coachmike Moderator

Working beautifully
    Tom7 likes this.