How does the Read and React work for you?

Discussion in 'About Offense' started by Coach H, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Coach H New Member

Coaches it's been a while and I wanted to see where some of you are as far as your program using the read and react. This past year I took my team back to the middle school championship and won finally. We finished with a 15-1 season and I pretty much lost all my core of the read and react. Kids that had been in the system for 3 years taugh me something this past season. The toughest defense that I saw all year was a 1-3-1 and a m2m run and jump. But we found was to handle those defenses and it really made me a proud coach of my teams I.Q and improvement. I would start all my players in 5 Out and they would always end up in a 3 Out 2in? I was scared to run this formation because I thought players would stand and watch. I went with a 2 guard front and ran the other guard baseline. The two post players were free to set ball screens and post up. This was mainly vs. m2m and 1-3-1. I got laker cuts, circle movement, post slides, and basically my two main guards broke defenses down and finished in the lane. This summer I didn't have a player over 5'10. I went with 4 guards and 1 one big. But I noticed that I had a guard that could really post and score inside and we beat some big teams, and aau teams. The big I have sets great screens and can score around the rim. The big guard I have can score inside and shoot the ball very well from the outside. I was thinking that I will teach all my guards the inside positions because it looks like we will be small. Every guard will be able to post up and play outside. One good thing is that I have shooters and very good guard play. What would you guys do if you didn't have but one big on the team and your team was small?
  2. mvcbruce Active Member

That's why Rick calls the R&R "Positionless" Basketball!
    You'll have a couple of situations to cover: 1) Playing with your Big; and 2) Playing without your Big.
    Your thoughts above seem like the best choices. Teaching Guards to play inside really does put pressure on your opponent.
    So, it sounds to me that your opponents will have to worry more about you than you worry about them.
    Embrace the change. Embrace the challenge. Have fun.
  3. CoachDAP Member

If your big can play on the perimeter, I think 5 out would be interesting. I would consider having your guards back screen for your big. If your big passes, I would look to either post or set pin screens and then post. You could also have your big set ball screens after the pass. You may start in a 5 out configuration, but if you're setting ball screens, back screens, and pin screens, you will only be 5 out until the first pass is made.
  4. Woody New Member

I have found that 5 out with an emphasis on backscreening works very well with a team of shooters.

I had a rival team beat the tar out of me this summer, and afterward had a very revealing talk with the opposing coach. (he also ran R&R) he had a small team, but played 4 out 1 in because he liked his guards to either attack the nail or make all cuts through the nail (still ending in the decision box). The i in constantly changed, as he installed a rule that the cutter must post, and the post must clear after 1. got a lot of good inside out action, and the player exiting the post was open for a three a large majority of the time, as his defender was caught in a natural help position. Something to look at.