NCAA Mens tournament Pool

Discussion in 'NCAA - College Hoops' started by CoachClow, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CoachClow Member

CodyJ and Tom7 like this.
  2. CodyJ Member

I posted my bracket... but I might change it up later.
  3. ST1 Member

My Bracket it is up!
    Tomorrow i get to see yours :)
  4. CoachClow Member

Glad to have you guys join me. It was getting lonely there. Hopefully some other forum users will sign up:)
  5. Tom7 Administrator

I wish I knew enough to contribute. I guess I could put something up just so you guys can have a good laugh at me. :p
  6. Tom7 Administrator

Okay, I'm in too.
  7. Tom7 Administrator

Let me say that this is the first time I've done this -- and that is by policy.

I believe that when we make predictions, then we want to be right... and when we want to be right, it skews our analysis so that rather than understand the game, we search for evidence to support our pre-stated position.

In other words, I avoid predictions because I want to understand more than I want to be right.
    plavitch likes this.
  8. Tom7 Administrator

9. Tom7 Administrator

I saw an article this morning that talked about how basketball savvy has nothing to do with your March madness brackets. That was very reassuring. After all who could've picked the fall of Georgetown?

The one and done format of the NCAA championship is very exciting. I think it would be fun if the NBA adopted a hybrid form of it. For example instead of grabbing the eight teams with the best record from each conference, maybe the NBA should grab six teams based on their records, then allow the other teams to play into the tournament, one and done, and compete for the last two spots
  10. CoachClow Member

Now that I am falling to the back of the pack I may have to see if there is any room left on the Florida Gulf Coast bandwagon...
  11. CodyJ Member

Do you think putting a hold on your policy to fill out a bracket was worth? I understand not wanting to cloud your analysis, but it's a lot of fun isn't?
  12. CodyJ Member

What a fun team to watch!
  13. CodyJ Member

Generally speaking:

Is it just me, or does every team run the same half court offense? Several high pick and rolls in a possession (with out the ball handler driving to the basket), maybe a down screen here and there, shot clock winds down to 15 seconds then an isolation play.

College football is fun to watch, because there are so many different brands of offense. I'm seeing predominantly the same type of offense in college basketball.

Thoughts on why that is?
  14. Tom7 Administrator

Ah, the back of the pack is space reserved for me.

I didn't know this was a point driven system; I made some decisions based on programs I would like to see excel, more than programs that I thought would excel, so I have strong doubts you'll see me at the top of the pack again.
  15. Tom7 Administrator

Yes, it definitely is fun.

Here's what I've noticed: in years past, I catch what I can and watch it. This year, I'm checking scores several times a day. There is more urgency to me wanting to know what happened when I couldn't watch it.

And when I do watch games, I go more right brain and rooting for teams I want, rather than stay left brain analytical. That's a problem for me. When I coach, I ALWAYS make myself track stuff on paper so I can stay all zen about the game. If I don't do that, then I do stupid things like worry more about the refs than my players.

There are programs that I'm impressed with so I want them to do well (Butler, Gonzaga, Notre Dame and Michigan State for example). I found that I'm more disappointed than in years past when they exit the dance.

I'm not sure if I will do this again, but I'm guessing I probably will. And maybe I'll do two brackets: the one I hope would happen, and the one I think will happen. Maybe that will let me stay more left brain.
  16. Tom7 Administrator

Congratulations on your win!
  17. ST1 Member

Congratulations from #2 :p
  18. CoachClow Member

Nicely done CodyJ!
    It was kind of me to allow the three of you a publicly viewable place to demonstrate your basketball predicting dominance over me:)
    Tom7 likes this.
  19. CodyJ Member

Thanks everyone, it was a lot of fun.

That championship was a great game.
  20. Tom7 Administrator

Hey, prediction is the most overused and useless "skill" in basketball. If everyone knew what they were doing when it came to predictions, then we wouldn't need a tournament.

I went with Rick Patino because his team looked that good, but also because I love his books.

How can you not love a leader of young people who says things like, "Lying makes a problem part of the future; truth makes a problem part of the past."