Need help! What would you do? Bizarre situation

Discussion in 'About Anything' started by Coach Scott, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Coach Scott New Member

Hey guys,

I am a relatively new coach. I am starting my 3rd year of coaching youth girls basketball. This is my 150th game (I am weird and like milestones :)) and this has never happened to me.

We were playing in a tournament game this weekend and were up by 12. The other coach was playing a 3-2 zone and packing the paint. In fact he told his players to not go out past the free throw line extended. My team runs Read and React and they went to the 3-2 zone to start the 2nd half.

Of course I wanted to stretch the defense. I set up in a 1-4 low with 2 in the corners and 2 on the block. The defense DID NOT MOVE. I had my point guard stand just over half court and hold her dribble. I wanted the other team to have to send someone out to pressure. They did not budge! The other coach started to stare at me and told me "I can do this all night". It was bizarre and I honestly wasn't sure what to do. As the clock ticked down for 2 minutes I could tell people were getting uncomfortable.

The other team was shouting "bad coaching Red (my team)" and "bad sportsmanship". I am a parent volunteer and pretty laid back. It bothered me a little that the other team thought it was bad sportsmanship. Why should I be forced to play the 3-2 zone at the free throw line. Why not force them to play more space. Spread them out was my thought when they went to the defense.

I finally went 5 out and had the girls swing the ball from point to wing. I had my corners back cut and told the girls lay ups only. The wing defensive players did not come out past the 3 point line. Again, bizarre.

I positioned my best driver on the wing and passed her the ball. I had her hold the ball without dribble. She stood there for 2 minutes 20 seconds. The other parents are screaming nasty things at me. The girls on the other team start to get frustrated. The girl "guarding" the ball turns her back on the ball. My wing drives the basket and gets an and 1. The crowd boos.

Next time down the court I had my wing hold and I literally walked players into position of an overload on that side. I had all five players and moved them like chess pieces.

Keep in mind this is 6th grade girls. It is select basketball and generally a very competitive league. This coach screamed at his kids and has a rep for being a jerk.

Coaches did I do the right thing? Is what I did bad sportsmanship? What would you do considering that the game we are playing was to send the winner to the championship game.

Once the clock got down to about 10 minutes we were still up 12 so we just played it normally and went to meet their 3-2 zone. We kept a double digit lead the rest of the game and ended up winning.
    I am hoping to get advice in case this happens again. My thought was that the other coach would have his players come out and guard us since we were up by 12. I really didn't expect the reaction of the coach (do nothing/change nothing) to my strategy and I wasn't sure about the crowds reaction. Sportsmanship is important to me. If I am in the wrong I need to know and will send an apology to the other coach and my parents.

Strategy wise I think what I did was sound but I need a coaches check regarding the sportsmanship part. I have the whole crazy night on film if anyone is interested.
  2. tim devlaeminck New Member

I think you did the right thing
    It's really sad that the other coach resorted to the zone
    the players are never going to develop good defense if they stand and protect a spot
    What is the coach going to do when the shooting range gets farther out?
    Good job coach, on your win
    I would love to see the video
  3. Coach Dennis Moderator

I agree with Tim, there is no bad sportsmanship from your end. If anything, the coach of the other team displayed bad sportsmanship. With this age group you should not be allowed to play a zone. Tim is correct in saying it will only delay their development.

But let me get this straight... you are called for displaying bad sportsmanship because you didn't attack the zone? Ow wait, let me rephrase that... you are called for displaying bad sportsmanship because the other team refuses to play defense and just sit in the paint waiting for your team? If there is no shotclock you can hold the ball for a long time. That has nothing to do with good or bad sportsmanship.

I would have been even more extreme. I would have hold the ball and let the clock run out.
  4. Scott Creighton New Member

I have only heard of this defensive tactic before. I have never seen it "live". I think it's called the "clueless" defense. As far as I know it has yet to work, but there is always a first time. Haha.

You did the right thing coach and like Coach Dennis said, you could have been much more extreme and made him look even more foolish. I think you were very respectful and classy.

Last time I checked, it was the responsibility of the team trailing to do something to catch up and/or get back into the game. You know like running a press, a trapping half court, or at the very least a pressuring out man to man.
  5. Larry236 New Member

Its always bad when someone tries to out-think everybody. We've had people do similar stall tactics on offense when they were behind. I think you did the right thing.