Opponent's Offensive Set

Discussion in 'Video Sharing' started by CoachClow, Feb 20, 2013.

1. CoachClow Member

Typically I post video without expecting, but greatly appreciating the feedback I do receive. Today I ask you all to come into the trenches and let me know what you see.
    Here is a link of some video of our upcoming semi final opponents offensive set:
    http://youtu.be/ycnURqjQ9M8

Any thoughts on how you would game plan against this set? We can not play zone or sustain traps in our league. We can play good help defense.

The set begins always from a walk up by their PG (their best player) He'll typically make a wing entry and look to get a hand off return or brush screen. That sets up their 3 man side triangle. They look to make the defense pay for sending help defenders by either driving baseline/middle or using a pick and roll from post to wing.

This game was in November, we lost by 29. We played them again in January, lost by 6. We put our best length defender on the PG and that disrupted what they wanted to do. We did make more mistakes than them though and it cost us in the end.

any thoughts are appreciated as always
  2. Coach Dennis Moderator

As I haven't seen an outside shot, only drives and P&R, my first suggestion would be to play zone. However you are not allowed to do so.

They indeed make the defense pay for sending help defenders as there is a slow (or none) rotation and there seems to be no help-the-helper. Perhaps you play "help and recover" kind of defense, in that case the recovering is to slow. The first option is to teach the players to be responsible for their own man. They need to be able to stop the dribble and defend their own man. No help is needed if that happens. However, that is not something you would implement in a few weeks. This takes much longer.

The second option would be to install better and faster rotation. The problem with that is you need players with some basketball IQ and someone is still bound to mess up. In my opinion help defense is to stop the dribble and then recover back to your man. In the mean time, while a defender is helping stopping the ball another defender has to defend two players temporarily. The key in this is to stop and recover as fast as possible.

In any case of the help defense you need to get the ball out of the middle as fast as possible to establish ball- and weak side.

You mentioned you are not allowed to play a zone defense, I wonder if a junk defense like a box-and-one is considered a zone defense. You might get away with it if the four box players play some kind of help defense man-to-man.

As for the P&R action, there are several ways to defend the initial screen. One of these ways, which I teach, is pushing the screener out of position. Not like NFL pushing, but don't let them take an easy path to the place they want to go. Furthermore, try to push the screener away from the basket. This causes a slightly different screen the offense is used to and they need to adjust. The adjustment time might be just enough for the screened defender to recover. Additionally I would like to point out by pushing I really mean "guiding the player using the defenders body". If you do it smart enough you might even get an offensive call from it.
  3. plavitch Active Member

We started seeing a lot of that particular P&R action about four years ago. I personally believe it is the easiest of all angles to defend because the offense has so few options. We trap it until the dribble is dead (don't know if that is against your rules or not) and pick up the roller with the backside post. As Coach Dennis said, you need players with some basketball IQ and it still gets messed up from time to time. We always show our players this training clip, among others, so they can see how we want to defend this action. The same two posts are involved in each; the first one they are seventh graders, the second they are eighth graders. The key is the frontside post getting out quickly to take away space and the backside getting over and ready to spring into action. (Obviously the movement by the guards out front is different in my examples. I'm just concentrating on the P&R part here.)

We have never faced that handoff action before. It reminds me of Adolph Rupp's old Guard Around series. When your PG defender is able to slide through and meet his man in the corner you are fine (example at 0:32 in the video). But if he gets screened (like at 0:43) then you are in a world of trouble. Hard to see exactly what happened there because the official was in the way. If he gets screened on a regular basis they you may want to consider switching and let the wing defender go with the PG coming around. That will be more difficult because the PG has a running start vs. the defender's stationary start, but it's better than having no defender on him.
  4. CoachClow Member

Thanks to you both. I appreciate the feedback.
    It must be noted that this clip is from the first of November. Our overall defense has improved immensely. We are a help and recover, rotate team and the boys are getting better each practice and game at this.
    We are game planning to send our PG defender through that screen and pick up baseline to stop the drive. We are contemplating the
    how to defend the P&R action and like the insight both of you have offered. Our clips indicate a passive defense on this action. I believe our aggressiveness against this has increased and should help. @plavitch, that clip is excellent, thank you
    Absolutely our on ball defense needs to better. What are your thoughts on pressuring the ball against this set? I would like to, but know that they are hunting the help defense I hesitate to do so. I hate to allow them to run their set imposing their will so to speak, but if we are ready for it maybe that is the bait...
  5. Coach Dennis Moderator

Ball pressure will only work if everyone can contain their man, especially the defender on the ball handler. Once he gets beat the offense has what it is looking for and will exploit that.
  6. CoachClow Member

The offensive set didn't hurt us...our turnovers on our own entry passes did...lost in Semi Final.
    We get another crack at them this week as a part of their tournament. Should be a good one.