Pre-christmas RRO team Video Footage

Discussion in 'Video Sharing' started by CoachClow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CoachClow Member

Tom7 likes this.
  2. ST1 Member

Watching R&R footage is always the best part of my day.

A Little Feedback. your spacing isnt perfect yet. most of the time the guys are within the 3 pointer or there toe's are on the line. they need to be at-least a 1 meter behind the 3 point line.

If the Defense is guarding the wings tight / playing ball denial /being over played 1) they must cut, 2) There is a little timing that needs to happen as they need to do this cut before (not during or in the int ital stages of the ball handlers decision making process) he must cut hard and try get the ball if he doesn't get the ball go set a back screen...
  3. CoachClow Member

I appreciate all the feedback I can get from this forum. Please keep it coming...

I agree. Spacing is our number one priority currently, with patience next on the list. As we move into the stretch and into playoffs we will be working hard to sharpen that AXE.
  4. Coach Dennis Moderator

Spacing is also one of the most difficult things to learn. Even with spots/markers on the floor I have to constantly remind my girls to take 1-2 steps away from the basket. During the drills they tend to move forward in expectation of the pass of the dribble, the same behavior translates into our games where sometimes we are packed making it easier for the defense.
  5. CoachMcLellan Active Member

I find the hardest thing to teach within this offense and in general, is patience and the ability to change speeds both of our dribble attack and our passing attack. I find sometimes we pass and cut, and dribble at, at such a frantic pace that we never let the defense shift so that it is out of position; we also miss scoring opportunities that develop from a more patient pace of attack.
  6. CoachClow Member

Spacing wise, we have implemented the offense without use of the training spots. The high school coach is going to lend us the training spots for a couple practices to see if that 'sharpens the axe'.
    Patience wise, what ideas do you have? We run some shell drill stuff where the play only becomes live on a specific action. Say a dribble, a post feed, a reverse dribble, etc. We find the teaching moments there and point them out. But outside of me continually yelling "patience" or "settle it down" what can we do to find some more patience in the offense?
  7. mvcbruce Active Member

re: patience in the offense . . .
    One of the truly nice tools I've found in the Read & React is the ability to "Sequence" the action.
    "Sequencing" in practice not only requires patience, but it is also a great way to come out of a time-out during a game.
    Here's how it works:
    For example:
    I'll ask the kids to run this sequence . . . "Pass & Cut, Pass & Cut, Dribble-At, Laker Cut" (could be any sequence you like).
    First . . . teach kids what to look for. Cutters, Passers, Defenders, etc. Go Slow and TEACH!
    Second . . . Run the Sequence thru without trying to score and learn to READ the action
    Third . . . After running the Sequence thru without trying to score, immediately run again looking to score.
    So, "P&C+P&C+D-A+Laker" then again "P&C+P&C+D-A+Laker" looking to score on the second sequence.

First: The first time we walk-thru the sequence, I'll ask the players to look for "events" that they could exploit. For instance, Pass & Cut really opens the possibility of "Pass to the Cutter" or an "Over-the-Read Line" or a "Draft Drive" or to look for a "Puppy Dog". The next Pass & Cut, really begins to skew (or distort) the defense . . . I'll ask what they see. The Dribble-At forces a "Backdoor Cut" and we'll try to figure out where the "Help Defense" is and the options available from this. The next action, the Laker Cut, allows a player to Post-Up, Pass, Seal, Know where to "Kick" the pass to the perimeter (best option of 45, 90 SV, NP) etc. etc. We'll take time to Read the defense on the Post, on the Cutter, and on Helpside.
    Second: We'll run the Sequence thru with the intention of NOT scoring on first time thru the sequence, but instead looking to score somewhere in the second sequence. Did we correctly read the "Draft Drive"? Did we correctly read the "Over-the-Read Line"? etc.
    Third: Did we "Read" the correct events on the second time thru? Did we score? Did we have to start the sequence a third time?

Not only was this good to develop patience in practice within the offense, but it allowed me as a coach to use successful practice sequences during a game. I could put a sequence in during a time-out, at the quarter, at half-time . . .
    This "Coaching" is what I see our opponent giving us in terms of Helpside Defense, On-Ball Defense, Man (sagging, pressure, etc), Zone (formation, trapping, etc). When you learn to run "Sequences" during practice, it gives you as a coach an idea of what your kids can do against opponents during a game.

TEACH IN PRACTICE . . . COACH DURING A GAME!

Anyway, try "Sequencing" . . . it works!
    CoachClow likes this.
  8. CoachDC New Member

Good stuff. You've given a name ("Sequencing") to something I've been doing in practice. My team has taken to it well. I'll adjust a bit and maybe add a talk-through/walk-through like you describe.
  9. mvcbruce Active Member

re: talk-through/walk-through
    The "Events" that happen everytime you use one of the Layers is a Need to Know kind of thing for teaching purposes.
    A "Layer" like Pass & Cut opens up different possible "Events" or scenarios that can take place.
    Event 1) -- Front Cut or Rear Cut
    Event 2) -- The huge gap that is created opens-up opportunities for Draft Drives, Puppy Dogging, etc.
    Event 3) -- Where are Help Defenders coming from? You need to see the Natural Pitch angles, Safety Valve opportunities, etc.
    Event 4) -- Heck, you may have a Shot as your own personal event--upon receiving pass; or Layup off of Dribble Drive Circle Movement.
    Event 5) -- If I do something else . . . what can be created (and is that a good thing?) -- This could be Power Dribble, Reverse Dribble, etc.
    (For instance, a Dribble Drive may create a "Post Slide" by original cutter.)
    Event 6) -- What else? This includes a little spontaneity or creativity.
  10. CoachClow Member

I like it. I do need to be more of a teacher in practice.
    I previously introduced sequences so this wont be a big leap, but adding that teaching component will be key. My group is ready for it.

@mvcbruce that quote should be on the Great Sports Quotes thread. "Teach in practice...Coach during a game"
    You got my attention
    Tom7 likes this.
  11. CoachClow Member

The combination of having the training spots and using 'sequencing' more effectively in practice had positive early returns in our latest game. The boys were more patient and kept more effective spacing. We beat a team that previously played us to 3 and 9 pt victories to a 18pt victory that was only brought under 20 by them having their starters against our bench in the final few minutes.
    We have loan of the training spots for the rest of this week but will return them. We will keep sequencing a part of what we do the rest of the way.
    Thanks for the input, I hope to get video uploaded of this last game and our next one soon.
    Tom7 likes this.