Read & React Practice Planning

Discussion in 'About Offense' started by R Gaines, May 12, 2014.

1. R Gaines New Member

I'm new to this forum and I am in my 2nd year as boys varsity head coach in Florida. I am looking to introduce the Read and React within my middle school, JV and varsity programs. I've purchased the 5 Read and React dvds and have studied them intensely but I'm having a difficult time developing practice plans. With a very limited budget at a small school, I will not be able to purchase the practice planning dvds. Can someone please assist me with developing practice plan?

I saw the pdf that were placed on here talking about the m2m & zone offense and I was wondering if it was something similar to that for the practice planning dvds.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Coach Gaines
  2. NigelCarpay Member

Hi Coach Gaines and welcome to the forum. I'm in the planning phase for my next season as well. I'll share some of what I'm doing if you like? I'm not sure how helpful it will be or if you'll like it, but at the very least I'll welcome the feedback from the coaches here.
  3. R Gaines New Member

Thank you. Any thing you share will be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure it would be helpful. Thanks again for the welcome.
  4. mvcbruce Active Member

5. R Gaines New Member

6. CoachDC New Member

Coach, this is awesome stuff. Thanks a ton for posting!
  7. NigelCarpay Member

As usual, top class stuff mvcbruce.
  8. CoachDAP Member

When you're developing your practice plan, you have to know what's important to you. You also have to consider your teaching methodology. Mvcbruce has given us some very detailed and well thought out practice plans. Those follow his philosophy, what he thinks is important, and how he wants to teach. I will post some practice plans that are just as detailed but follow a different philosophy and way of teaching. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There is the right way for mvcbruce, the right way for me, and the right way for you. I think everyone wants the perfect recipe, but I think it's more important to do things in a way that works for you not just because anyone else said so.
  9. mvcbruce Active Member

CoachDap has hit the nail on the head! It is a philosophical preference. The practice plans I offered above were for a team that had a scrimmage on the first Saturday. The coach wanted to: a) Fastbreak; b) Implement the R&R in the Shortest period of time; c) Implement Ball Screens for a very good guard; d) Be able to Press Break the first Saturday to prepare for a game the following week. We certainly "squished" a bunch of stuff into one week.
    Since implementing R&R in 2007. I've introduced it several different ways (including Rick's first model with Circle Movement as the first layer---yikes). After 7 years of teaching R&R, I've settled on this "methodology" . . . For example, if you have an opportunity to introduce R&R in the summer without the pressure of winning/losing games and you've got a little more time, it is certainly easier to begin the season in November with a whole different Practice Plan. Those plans wouldn't have the "teaching" portion of each layer, but instead, would be more 3-on-3 breakdown drills while learning to "Read" defensive action. A third scenario would find these "Practice Plans" looking entirely different for a veteran team who has run the R&R for several seasons. In this 3rd scenario I might emphasize defense and attempting to stymie the offense and learn to "React" to various defensive maneuvers.

So, the plans presented above were for a team beginning the season in November and learning the R&R for the first time. These will look entirely different a second year . . . and entirely different a third year . . . etc.

Note that very little defense was introduced this first week while introducing as much of the R&R as possible. That first scrimmage last fall was actually pretty impressive offensively . . . and, as you would expect, the defense sucked!

Finally, these plans were offered NOT as a definitive way of teaching the R&R, but simply one scenario of "introducing" the offense in a short period of time. I welcome and encourage coaches to submit there first week or two of "practice plans" . . . I think we need to know whether you're creating these plans for a first time R&R team, a rookie R&R team, a somewhat "seasoned" team, or a veteran team. That, more than anything, dictates how R&R is introduced that first week of practice. Also note, plans are devised based on available courts, available baskets, available time (mine 2.5 hours), etc. etc. No one's practice plans will be the same.

Thanks, and I look forward to viewing sample practice plans from around the globe! Mine are from Wisconsin, USA.
    Scott Creighton likes this.
  10. R Gaines New Member

I definitely understand the different teaching methods for implementation of the R & R. I am a coach who wants to implement during our summer and fall league games in preparation for the upcoming high school season. Definitely not looking for a perfect recipe but a couple of key ingredients to help develop my recipe would be great, lol.
  11. CoachDAP Member

If you have the whole summer and preseason, then I would take the time to really get good at the basic layers of the offense and the skills associated with those layers. I think you'll find plenty of scoring opportunities in getting your players to space the floor and play aggressively while moving the ball and themselves. At the same time, you can really focus on the basic skills and improve those as well.

If you focus on Layers 1-6, you should be able to have a really good base for the season. In fact, you may find that those are all the layers that you need and that you can focus more on defense once the season starts.
  12. R Gaines New Member

That sounds like a great way to get started. Teaching proper spacing and excessive dribbling is probably the hardest to get across to my guys. Do you have any pointers on how to eliminate those habits but not taking away their creativity? I really think the simplicity of this offense will allow my guys to be more decisive and aggressive this upcoming season.
  13. CoachDAP Member

Spend more time teaching them what to do instead of what not to do.

To me spacing is easy. Either you're in one of the spots or you're a cutter and you're headed to a spot. Of course the spots could be post spots, and they can get a spot in a few different ways. However, if you're starting with the basics, then there aren't that many options. That's all there is to spacing. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but that's how I see it.

Here's one approach when it comes to dribbling.

If you haven't taught them dribbling actions, then don't let them dribble.

If you teach circle movement before you teach dribble at, then there's only two ways a player can dribble. Put them in situations where they can only dribble that way. Drill the skills associated with it. Let them feel success dribbling this way. Then let them play a little. When that happens, they can't dribble east or west. They can either attack right or attack left. That's it. So if they dribble in one spot in a way that doesn't set up a move or if they dribble in another direction, then it's a turnover.

If you teach dribble-at first, then they can only dribble east or west. They aren't allowed to dribble in any other direction. Once you teach both of them, those are the only ways they can dribble. Any other dribbles are not allowed.

If they try to attack but take a poor angle, then they executed the skill wrong and they need to be stopped.

I was watching Tony Parker last night and he would dribble the ball for 15 or more seconds in a possession without passing. Sometimes those dribbles might be considered "excessive", but he is so good at what he does even though he might dribble more than all the other players on the court combined.
  14. R Gaines New Member

Thank you for the insight. It is greatly appreciated

15. I like this example a lot, makes perfect sense and they will be conditioned that way.
  16. mvcbruce Active Member

Here's the problem with only focusing on Layers 1-6 . . . you have to go up and down the court . . . "transition".
    That is why in the practice plans I provided above, the second thing I teach (after Layer 1: Pass & Cut) is Layer 17: Transition Offense.
    You can transition dozens of ways, but the fact is you must transition! And I want to be able to transition from our fastbreak into Read & React NOW. After years of teaching R&R (since 2007 anyway), I have found that this transition into R&R must flow smoothly and efficiently. You can, in fact, "Master" this transition . . . then I introduce Layer 2: Post Pass & Cut (Laker Cuts), again followed with Layer 17: Transition Offense so that I can flow from this transition immediately into Layers 1 & 2. Every learning segment I did last November introduced a Layer, but incorporated it immediately into Layer 17: Transition Offense.

After Layers 1 thru 6 + 17 are learned (even in a basic sense), I then introduce Layer 18: Press Break. Kids can see that the same actions found in Layers 1 thru 6 are incorporated into Layer 18 as well. I really don't tell the kids "Okay, now today we're skipping ahead to learn Layer 18" . . . I simply show them Layers 1, 2, 3 & 4 as it pertains to breaking a press.

Finally, during that first week of learning R&R, I also teach them the other "DRIBBLE ACTIONS". CoachDAP is correct, reacting to dribbling action is important . . . "what if the "dribbler" does this . . . then what do I do". That is why I teach Layer 15: Power Dribble and Layer 12: Reverse Dribble as soon as I possibly can after the FOUNDATION LAYERS are taught but not necessarily mastered. This also allows me to introduce "screening" . . . if not for the offense, at least for the defensive side of things . . . "how do I defend screens"!

Anyway, that is "why" my practices are setup as they are. I introduce Layer 1, then Layer 17, then Layers 2,3,4,5,6, then Layer 18 and finally Layers 12 & 15. CoachDAP is also correct that there "There is more than one way to skin a cat." However, adding Layer 17 early on allows me to run 3-player transition drills (like 3-on-3 or 3-on-2 stuff) or 4-player transition drills (like 4-on-4, 4-on-3 or 4-on-2 stuff).

I have done this for all grades 7th thru 12th. When I have a chance to teach R&R in summer at a camp or team setting, I have found that this methodology (of getting into transition stuff ASAP), really helps the kids learning. Finally, this basic methodology really helps when it comes time for Layer 19: Full-Court Trips & Layer 20: Flow . . . but that's another story.
    Scott Creighton likes this.
  17. coach215 Member

I agree with mvcbruce. We had very young kids learning Layers 1-6, 17-18, but we seem to master only Layers 1-2 + 17. I saw that kids must learn how to "transition" into read and react right away after learning the first layer.
  18. CoachDAP Member

I have yet to teach "Layer 17". Of course we teach transition offense, but I like to keep it simple. I think if the spacing and concepts have been drilled, then it becomes a matter of running your lanes, fill your spots and having fun.
  19. plavitch Active Member

We don't teach "Layer 17" like it's presented in the R&R stuff. We keep it simple, too. However, I also like to transition (our method) immediately after teaching each layer. Our philosophy is to run a "full-court offense."