RRO Portugal

Discussion in 'Video Sharing' started by André Lima, Nov 7, 2013.

1. André Lima New Member

Hi. I'm a portuguese coach (U16 girls team) and PE teacher.

I found R&R during the summer of 2012, but just started applying it since last February (2nd half of the 2012-2013 season). This season (which started last September) I went "all-in" with the system. Every practice, every drill, every rep, there's always at least a layer in there.

Here's the footage of my last game (2nd of the season). I'd appreciate any comments on my team's performance and anything you think I could do to make it better (on any level). The opponents weren't very though (as aren't most of the teams we play on the regional level), but still we have to try and take the most out of every competition opportunity.

Thanks in advance for watching and taking your time to comment.
  2. ST1 Member

Hi Coach.

If you cut out the other teams offense so i could watch YOUR team play offense that would be great.

I use AVI Spilter...
  3. André Lima New Member

Ok, I'll do that. Have to download video from youtube, because I uploaded it directly from iPod and then deleted the original files. And with youtube video editor is a pain to do it.
  4. André Lima New Member

Here it is. It's all I got on 5 on 5 halfcourt for the first half. The rest is counter attack, free throws, out of bounds and defense.

It's a much shorter clip than I'd predict.
  5. ST1 Member

For a 1st Video clips this is good.
    You need to get the girls to KNOW THE SPOTS and ONLY PLAY on the Spots. Have you decided on a Permanent alignment? (5 out? 4 out 1 in?)

When the spacing gets cleaned up. you can take it to the next level. Then i would start assigning specific roles to your players.
    @2:45 the spacing gets good. Saw some power dribbles which were nice. need to work on the power dribbler making a better screen. and then later making it a roll.

Once all the players know the first layers you will need to get your Point Guards to put in some overtime. Then are many adjustments they need to make to reduce turnovers and with them lies the FULL potential of this offense....
  6. Tom7 Administrator

Hi, coach. I have a son living on São Miguel in Ribeira Grande in the Azores. I'll try to make some time this week to give it a look, but thought I'd at least say Oi! :p
  7. Tom7 Administrator

Thanks for the edited (6:41) video, that definitely made it a lot easier to watch the half court offensive play. Because I'm a junkie for these kinds of things, I may watch the full length video someday. Hopefully.

Here are some of the observations I had:

0:00 (First play)

Your 3 players on top spaced the floor very well and your opponent over extended their defense. Because your opponent overplayed you on the perimeter, it softened up the inside, creating big, wide lanes for you to drive for a layup attempt. However, when the ball handler drove, all her teammates except for one just watched her and didn't do the reactions the offense dictates. As the ball handler got closer to the rim, the interior defenders left their man to challenge the shot. Had your players without the ball moved as the offense requires, the ball handler would have had teammates to pass to had she decided not to shoot. That said, her shot choice was a good one, it just didn't go in.

0:09 (2nd play)

Rather than cut when dribbled at, your perimeter players set screens for the ball handler. Of course the offense has them do just that if the ball handler is using a power dribble, and I thought it was interesting to see them do it with a speed dribble too. What stood out most about this play though was the shot that was taken: a very long two right at the 3-point arc. Your shooter made the long jumper, but I teach my players not to take that shot. I ask them to be patient keep hunting for a better shot.

0:23 (3rd play)

Again, the shot was a long two without much effort to hunt another shot or even swing the ball to the other side of the court.

0:37 (4th play)

Nice shot. I like that this shot was deep in the paint, however in 2 of the 4 plays so far a layup was taken with a double or triple team when the better play would have been a bounce pass to the left where a teammate had a wide open lay up. That said, if the open teammate is a bad shooter, then the double team layup might be the better shot; I don't know your team.

0:44 (5th play)

This play makes me laugh because it is what my teams do too. Your players started off with good spacing and passing and cutting, but as the play went on their spacing got progressively horrible. My teams tend to play from the spots at the beginning of a possession and not so much as the possession executes too, so I have to really encourage them to keep playing from the offense.

Also, note that of the 3 shots that have been taken in the paint so far, on all 3 of them there were shots by a player that was double teamed and she had teammates with at least 1 foot in the paint that had no one guarding them. Making that last interior pass would probably help your team shooting percentage. Do you track assists? When players know what they scored at the end of the game and not how many assists they made, then tend to talk about their scoring with their parents because that is the only number they have to talk about them about. Tracking assist and rebounds allows them show their team contributions to parents as well.

0:56 (6th play)

The first shot on this clip was more early offense than half court offense, then when the offensive rebound was secured your team had a chance to run the offense, but really did not. Just as everyone was starting to find their spots a guard shot a long three. I ask my teams not to surprise their teammates with long 3s early in a possession. These shots are not in the flow of the offense, they disrupt the flow of the offense, and when a 3 surprises teammates they cannot get in position to rebound. Consequently, these kinds of 3s often result in run out fast break layups for our opponent. The math is... Us: bad missed 3, Them: easy 2-point layup with no defense between them at the rim.

1:12 (7th play)

The clip starts off with really weird spacing. One of the good things about playing competitive teams is they teach you to not be sloppy about spacing. When a team can beat an opponent with poor fundamentals, then they tend to "learn" that the fundamentals aren't as important as coach says they are. Some painful losses though... that can get their attention. :)

Poor spacing is a major contributor to turnovers though, and that is exactly how this possession ended.

1:23 (8th play)

This is my favorite possession for your team so far. In transition the ball handler got deep but was double teamed and decided not to force the shot but pulled the ball outside and set up the offense instead. Then the offense ran very well and you got a wide open 3 pointer out of it. The 3 didn't go though, but that happens even when you are alone in a gym. That 3, unlike the earlier 3, was a quality shot in the flow of the offense.

After the offensive rebound the next 3 was a bit quick, but she was wide open and didn't catch her team off guard launching it so it was an okay shot.

When the 2nd 3pointer was missed and rebounded, I like how the ball was reversed (went from side to side) before the next shot attempt. That helped create a nice baseline jumper. Of course, that didn't go in either, but it was a quality shot.

I didn't like the 3rd 3-pointer though. She had two players closing out on her and too many open teammates.

2:01 (9th play)

This was a weird possession to me. Sideline inbounds to the back court, then a long, ill-advised pass to a cutter in the paint for a turnover. The RRO (read and react offense) was not run on this possession. And again, the best play was for person in the paint attempting the shot to pass to her wide open teammate on the left side of the paint right at the rim.

2:09 (10th play)

The shot was WAY off, but the offense that created it was good. The ball handler drove and all her teammates except for 1 did the right reactions... either they did a post slide in the paint or circled along the perimeter at the arc.

BTW, I would rather my teams run the offense and miss a shot than freelance their offense and make the shot. Just because a drunk person makes the horrible decision to drive home and gets away with it doesn't mean it was good decision, you know?

2:24 (11th play)

Yes, the shooter was wide open, but again it is a terrible shot. That long 2 off the dribble that early in the possession is not a good decision. That is the kind of shot a player should take if the clock is running down and she has no other choice, not a shot you take when you start the possession.

The baseline jumper off the offensive rebound was a miss, but that is a quality shot, the kind you want to be taking because the odds are better more of them will go in.

2:35 (12th play)

Love this clip. The offense was run just right and PATIENTLY with 4 passes happening before anyone attempted a shot. Moreover, that good execution of the offense got you a quality 3 pointer with rebounders in place. The shot didn't go in, but it was the highest quality 3 pointer I've seen so far. Too bad that ref ended the possession with that bad call.

I get nervous when these posts get long; I don't want to lose this much if something goes wrong when I click post so I'll put the rest in the next post.
    Coach Dennis likes this.
  8. Tom7 Administrator

I'm not sure if my comments will make much sense unless you print them out and have them handy while you rewatch the video so you can see what exactly I'm referring to with each comment.

2:58 (13th play)

It's so interesting to me that your players do not cut when they are dribbled at. They either set a pick, or stand there and take a dribble hand off. I actually don't use dribble handoffs with my team. I see how they can be handy, but at our level, more often that not all we get out of it is we bring more defenders to the ball to swipe at it, and occasionally the person handing off the ball cuts with bad timing and picks up an offensive foul.

3:19 (14th play)

My favorite clip so far. Brilliant actually. Not only did your team run the offense well and with pretty good spacing, but I love how your shooter (#4) got open.

In fact, plays like this are exactly why I'm high on the RRO.

#4 first got the ball on top, outside the arc. She passed to the right corner and cut to the basket just as she is supposed to and all her teammates likewise did what they were supposed to do.

As #4 cut through the key, the corner player fed the player in the mid-post and did a "Laker cut" (I don't like the term because the Lakers no longer use that offense, instead I call it a "post feed cut"), anyway the corner player fed the mid-post and did a post-feed cut high and got the ball back on a give and go and started to drive.

With one dribble in the paint, she had all 5 defenders swarming her so she kicked it out to #4 who was WIDE open for a short corner jumper.

Your team literally read and reacted and got a quality shot for it.

3:35 (15th play)

It was early offense, not RRO, but good decisions by your players,

3:44 (16th play)

Your opponent plays defense with effort and energy, but unfortunately they are not well coached and which allows you opportunities like those in this clip. They overplay the ball 45 feet from the basket which results in your team attacking 5 on 4 and getting a layup.

3:55 (17th play)

At first it looked like it was a bad pass, but then I realized it was also a bad cut. The cutter, #5, helped cause that turnover by cutting behind her defender rather than in front. Also she could have set up her defender by changing up the speed or direction of her cut.

4:02 (18th play)

It ended in a turnover, but the offense was good up to that point: 5 passes and a ball reversal.

4:22 (19th play)

If you can, watch the play starting at 4:22 and stop the video at exactly 4:27. In the freeze from at 4:27, your guard is at the 3-point arc and her defender is just crossing half court.

The effort of your opponents' players is admirable, but they are just so badly coached that much of their hustle ends up being just wasted activity. For example, in this clip your opponent gets 4 of their players right back on defense after a made basket -- that's good hustle. However, because their defense was also over-extended, your guard was able to dribble right down the center of the entire length of the court without one zig or one zag and get all the way to the rim!

Then the defense overreacted to the drive by sending all 4 defenders at the ball handler and leaving a cutter free to get the pass and knock down the shot.

All the while those players were hustling their hearts out, the problem appears that they aren't being taught how to hustle smart.

4:43 (20th play)

The shot didn't go down, but all 5 of your players were perpetual motion on this play and all doing the right things in the offense. Probably the only thing they did wrong was they weren't patient enough to wait for a better shot than that mid range jumper, but it was open and not a bad shot really.

5:00 (21st play)

Your spacing has broken down. Because your players are not getting all the way out to their spots, your opponent was able to have have at least 2 defenders in the paint for pretty much the whole possession. Discouraged from passing or driving in side, you guys settled for a rushed 3 pointer. Also, because your players never cut when they are dribbled at on the perimeter, that sometimes messes with your spacing as well. You have 2 players 19 feet from the rim standing in the same place (dribble hand off) and their teammates in random spots with no passing lanes to them.

5:29 (22nd play)

This is an example of why players need to stick to the rules for player movement in the offense. The turnover was caused when two players cut to the same spot, bringing 2 defenders to that pass. The wing circling to the top spot was doing the right thing, but the post player leaving her post to take the spot was not.

However, I think the reason the post player cut to the arc was because the ball handler started a dribble, which in your system must signal a dribble hand off or a pick and roll. In other words, this might be the coach's turnover. [wink]

Watching this play reminds me why I do not use dribble hand offs on the arc. The only place I use handoffs is when a post player hands off to a cutter running by him or her.

Because your players ALWAYS run to the ball handler when she dribbles along the arc, the defense is now conditioned to that. On this play, the defense read the perimeter dribble and won the foot race to the ball handler.

5:42 (22nd play)

This is an interesting turnover. Look at the angle the defender took on the player who turned the ball over. That was great defense.

5:55 (23rd play)

As the play went on, the offense's spacing got worse, then it self-corrected! When everyone realized they were bunched up they all went back to the spots and started the possession again. Good job!

6:22 (24th play)

Interestingly, the defense didn't overextend on this play. To the contrary, many of the defenders were sagging back into the paint. And again, the offense starts with a dribble hand off.

It looks like the score at this point is 37 to 11. I don't think I saw 37 points scored in these half court clips. In fact, I don't know if 10 points were scored on those 30 or so possessions we saw.

This is a good lesson for many if not all of us coaches.

1 hour and 10 minutes of basketball was filmed for this game. The part of the game where the Read and React Offense was actually being run amounted to 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

Just think about how much time and work we put into teaching our teams something that equates to about 10 percent of the game.

I bet most of us put more than 10 percent of our practice time into teaching half court offense!

Cheers!
    Tom
    Coach Dennis likes this.