Wanting to Coach

Discussion in 'About Anything' started by Rob Valley, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rob Valley New Member

I love basketball. I mean i LOVE basketball. i am looking at a career change and am wanting to start studying basketball to become a coach possibly at a local high school. where should i start? what videos or books are the best?
  2. NigelCarpay Member

My advice is start with whatever you can get your hands on. Become a sponge. The more the better.
  3. Rob Rourke New Member

I'm a high school coach. I started by coaching young kids (3rd-4th grade). My first season was awful (1-9 record), but I learned a ton. Next season we improved to 9-1. I progressively moved up to coaching middle school, then became an AAU assistant, and now I coach high school and AAU as a head coach. Coaching is a lot more than just X's and O's. You could follow a similar path as me, or you could possibly become an assistant for a local middle or high school or an AAU team. Being around a good head coach all the time will help a lot.

Books and videos are great, but they can only do so much. Various offenses and defenses and set plays are only a small part of coaching. Also, I think loving basketball will only take you so far. You really need to love people & love helping people try to be successful. To me ( and others may disagree), basketball isn't really that important. What I really love is being a leader and the great feeling of family and accomplishment that a team can provide.
    plavitch likes this.
  4. CoachDAP Member

I agree with Coach Rourke. I would say get in the gym at every possible opportunity. Work camps. Coach youth teams. Work with individuals. I know it takes time, but that's what it takes. We ask players to be in the gym all time working on their game, but how many of us coaches do the same thing? A lot of coaches think they should get paid every time they are in the gym.

Videos and books are great and they can give you a general idea. What you know is pretty much irrelevant. It's how you can get your players to know it and do it. There are some coaches that know too much. It's better to know less and be able to communicate that to your players than to know everything and be able to communicate nothing.

It's also important to be able to evaluate how good a player really is and what they need to do to get better. A player who is great in one setting can be the worst player in the gym in another setting. If a player "masters" everything you're asking them to do, figure out how to make it harder. Figure out how to make them fail. Trust me, even the best can get better.