What should I be emphasizing during transition drills?

Discussion in 'Practices and Drills' started by wooden_disciple, Jun 5, 2014.

1. wooden_disciple New Member

Let me give a little background info on myself and my situation:
    • I've never played organized bball (just playground).
    • I took over the coaching duties with 2 games left in the season (4th grade boys - my son plays 'up' he is an old 3rd grader) because the former coach became too busy. (I think he couldn't stand the pressure, our team was getting progressively worse every year)
    • It's now the off season and I'm trying to prepare the team for next year and for upcoming tournaments
    • We practice once a week for 1-1/2 hours. Since the end of the season (Feb) I've averaged 5 out 8 players showing up for practice. Our team is not quite club but not rec.
    • I started showing them the R&R offense 4 months ago
    I want to go over transition offense & defense - what should be the major points of emphasis? Or is this too vague of a question?

I don't even know what I don't know.
  2. plavitch Active Member

If they know the spots for R&R, the first thing I would have them do is just run down the floor to those spots and execute whatever actions they know. There are many ways to get to those spots (straight lines, crossing, etc.) but I would emphasize having a "flow" from the transition directly into R&R without having to "set up." Keep it simple.
  3. Woody New Member

This thread looks pretty dead, but wanted to put this in for anyone searching.

With kids that young, I have found this to be very simple and effective.

1) if you are ahead of the ball, run wide
    2) if you are behind the ball, trail (run the "split" line)
    3) You must hit the decision box before you find your ending spot.

You can get lots of nice penetration from wings with trailers coming right down the highway for dump offs and O rebounding.
    Coach Tylk likes this.
  4. CoachDAP Member

Sprinting is most important and often gets overlooked among all the X's and O's. Whether it's transition D or O, if you're not sprinting, it doesn't matter. There are a lot of options, but I think keeping it simple is key.
    Woody likes this.