When is the ball established in the front court?

Discussion in 'Game Officials' started by Tom7, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Tom7 Administrator

Recently I heard a ref explain that the ball is not established in the front court until it is controlled by a player who has both feet in the front court.

That means, for example, that a player dribbling the ball can step across the half court line with one foot and step back and have it not be a back court violation.

I looked it up in the USELESS ipad app put out by the NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) with the high school basketball rules, but I cannot find the rule.

Does anyone have an answer and a reference on this?
  2. Tom7 Administrator

In researching the answer to this question, I came across a link and some video footage of Kevin Durrant that is pretty interesting, if this topic interests. you.

As the article says,

The NBA rulebook states “A ball being dribbled is (1) in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the player are in the frontcourt, (2) in the backcourt if the ball or either foot of the player is in the backcourt”.

That is consistent with the NFHS rule book:

During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt (4-4-6).
  3. CoachDC New Member

Years ago when I officiated intramural and high school games while in college, we were taught "3 points of contact", i.e. the ball and both feet, were needed in order to establish possession in the front court.